Author Topic: Battery Relocation  (Read 4060 times)

Offline schaeffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Battery Relocation
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
I have bee thinking of relocating my battery to the bed of the truck rather than out with the engine.  Any thoughts on cable gauge, etc?  How about a battery box? 
-Schaeffer

1980s ish Chevy Blazer 355CI, 4speed, Dana 60/14Bolt, 36TSLs

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Relocation
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
We did the one on Dad's mud racer last winter. We used "0" Gauge wire from the battery to a cut-off switch, then to a the starter solenoid. Stop by sometime and check it out.
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair

Offline schaeffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
Good stuff, thanks man!
-Schaeffer

Offline schaeffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
I just got back from battery warehouse with a cable.  The guy there was very helpful.  He suggested a Group 27 Battery box so that I can run either a 27 or a harder core group 31 battery typical of heavier diesel rigs, construction equipment, etc.  I have a run of the mill group 24 battery now that I will hammer until then.  This should give me the amperage needed for lights, winch, etc.
-Schaeffer

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:42:27 PM »
we run a deep cycle boat battery in dad's mud rig. holds charge a long time for a lot of cranks, but that's cause we start and stop his a lot when staging to keep the heat down and give it a good overnight trickle charge the night before an event. been working great so far, probably run the same type of battery in my Jeepster when we get it done for next season. a friend of mine in Louisiana actually uses welding leads at battery cable on his 351w powered jeep with the battery relocated to the rear for better weight distribution. if you have any welder friends you can sometimes get their old leads pretty cheap compared to springing for "0" gauge wire, that stuff is expensive haha
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair