Author Topic: Modified cj2a, (Turbo project in the works)  (Read 44583 times)

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
Re: Modified cj2a, (Turbo project in the works)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »
Did some work today on the jeep.  Actually started the turbo project, besides researching on it. I started with determining where I want to locate the Turbo. Once that was established, I went to work on the exhaust to it. Went out and bought exhaust tubing from the local auto parts store and went to work.  Did a lot of test fitting, marking and mocking before I came up with this.
1946 Willys Modified. Civilian Frame, Military Body/modified

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
I plan to have a shop bend up some nicer piping at some point. But till I make sure it will all work and well This will do just fine. Does not look to pretty but it will do the job till I decide to dress things up. The last picture is looking down at were the Turbo mount will be welded and Turbo mounted.

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
OK, I've changed a two major things with the turbo setup.

#1 changed to a smaller turbo from a Volvo. (13c)
#2 the location is now on the drivers side

The turbo will will spool faster closer to the exhaust manifold. The piping is wrapped to trap the heat in. The not only helps keep the heat down in the engine compartment but also allows the pressure to be higher in the exhaust to the turbo, which results in to again faster spooling. This also allows less distance away from the intake. (less piping to pressurize) again results into faster pressure. I wrapped the outlet exhaust also, to keep heat down. To keep track of my air fuel ratio (AFR) I installed a gauge in the dash.

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
I was about to install my electric fuel pump the other day and realized that I should have it below or level with the bottom of the tank...So my question is will it be safe. What I mean by that is water. I can easily build a cage around it for protection but my real concern is going to water holes, Will the pump be ok? Would I have to worry about shorting out? Any thoughts? This is the pump I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Performance-High-Volume-130-GPH-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Hot-Rod-NEW-14-PSI-/140904611663

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 08:05:26 PM »
Here is a little video of first start up with the turbo at its new location. Keep in mind it still need tuned badly. I'm currently in progress of doing that by adding the electric fuel pump and boost FPR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNt8FIYX_FE