Author Topic: Pilot Bearing Removal  (Read 2880 times)

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Pilot Bearing Removal
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
During our CJ5 build, we removed a T-18 4-speed transmission to swap in a T190 3-speed. Once the T-18 was removed, we noticed that the input shaft diameter was larger than that of the T190, so we needed to pull and replace the pilot bearing. Being small time, we did not have a specific tool for this job. We called a friend who owns a local garage (PM me if you would like to know which garage) and he explained to us a relatively easy way to remove pilot bearings with simple tools.
List of tools needed: grease gun, deep-well socket (outside diameter of socket must be a slip fit for inside the bearing/bushing), extension to put the socket on, pliers to hold the extension (or your fingers if you're brave enough  8)), and a B.F.H. (Big F***ing Hammer).
Process: using the grease gun, pump grease into the pilot bearing filling until it starts to come out, insert extension into the socket, pump grease into the socket to fill it up, grab extension with pliers, insert socket into the pilot bearing (you will feel that it has pressure pushing back from the grease being compressed), smack the end of the extension with the hammer until the socket is in as far as it will go, repeat until bearing is completely out.
I was skeptical of this process when i was told, but after using it to successfully remove 2 pilot bearings, i will remember this trick forever. Trust me, it works  ;)
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Bearing Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:26 PM »
pic
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair