Author Topic: Jeep Rock Crawler  (Read 3190 times)

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Jeep Rock Crawler
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
Ok, here we go! those of you who know me, know i have an 85 XJ Cherokee that i was fixin to build into a rock crawler. Well, the old XJ is now heading for the scrap yard. The newest addition to my fleet is a 1970 Jeepster Commando. My entire rock crawler project is transfered to the Jeepster. the breakdown of the build is as follows: triangulated long arm 4 links front and rear (Designed by me), dana 44 front with a Detroit locker, 30 spline inner and outter RCV axleshafts and drive flanges, Ford 9in rear with a spool, Yukon axleshafts and 4:11 gears, a Ford 302 with Edelbrock alluminum heads, Holley 4bbl Fuel injection, Ford NP435 4-speed trans, NP203 doubler, Dana 20 Transfer case with 3.15:1 low range, my final crawl ratio will be 173:1. keep in mind that this is not a weekend build, i have alot of the parts already but still have alot to buy yet. thankfully i hadnt done any work on the cherokee yet, so it will be a smooth transition to the jeepster. i will keep posting updates as they happen, but here are a couple pix of the jeepster in its current state.
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair

Offline sparky12

• View Profile
Re: Jeep Rock Crawler
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Hey JD ,   What is sitting behind that commander ?  Looks like on old Willys ! 

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
Awesome man! glad you found it now before any work was done. Can't wait to see it. Does it run the way it sits? 

1946 Willys Modified. Civilian Frame, Military Body/modified

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »
it is an old willys wagon behind it, the guy has 3 of em. my one buddy made him an offer on 2 of em in semi rough shape but not sure if he will take it or not. the jeepster doesnt run, no motor haha...hopefully get to pick it up in the next couple weeks and get some more pix on here

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
ok, Finally got started on the Jeepster Commando. Just in the teardown stage right now, but I got the front end off, the trans/tcase out, the top off, and the seats out. its looking pretty grim on the floorboards and rockers but they will be replaced anyway. Need to get the Dana 44 rear out and prepped to put under dads CJ5. Also need to torch the body mount bolts off in order to remove the body and begin corrosion control on the frame haha. Hopefully I will be able continue to post updates at least weekly if not daily on the progress. any suggestions during the build would be appreciated as I am now considering making it street legal once its finished.

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
pics

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile