Author Topic: Leaf to Coil Conversion  (Read 1685 times)

Offline schaeffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Leaf to Coil Conversion
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
Has anyone ever built a custom 4 link or other type of coil sprung suspension?  I am thinking about it for my K5.  I would like to fab it myself but don't know much about the geometry that has to go into it.  Anyone can cut and weld but to have it engineered properly is my main concern...
-Schaeffer

1980s ish Chevy Blazer 355CI, 4speed, Dana 60/14Bolt, 36TSLs

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Leaf to Coil Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
I designed the front and rear 4 link setup for my project Cherokee. Havent gotten arround to building it yet (money and time shortages). I have a couple Chassis Design books that break it down for ya, but it takes a long time to figure it out right. I spent the whole year i was in Korea studying before i got mine to where i think it'll work. I also have the some software to design it once u get you dimensions and stuff. If you want, I'll let u know what measurements i need and can design one for ya. Some of the things you need to take into consideration are your squat/antisquat, roll centers, center of gravity, tire size, arm lengths (long arm vs. short arm), ground clearance, length of travel, types of load bearing devices (coilovers, ORI struts, quarter elliptical springs, etc.), and how and where you want to mount them (both to the axle and to the frame). If your serious about wanting to do it, let me know and I'll try and help ya out as best i can.
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair