Author Topic: Waste Motor Oil as alternative to diesel fuel  (Read 32101 times)

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
Waste Motor Oil as alternative to diesel fuel
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
I've been doing a lot of research on various diesel forums about alternative fuels for my 7.3idi F-350. I began looking into waste vegetable oil (WVO). After some research, I found out that there are a lot of vehicle modifications needed to be able to run this fuel (fuel tank heaters, line heaters, etc.). I then came across waste motor oil (WMO) as fuel. The most important thing to remember going the WMO route is filter, filter, FILTER! I made my first batch of what they call W85 blend (85% WMO, 15% RUG or regular unleaded gasoline) this past weekend. I gathered 3 gallons of oil from the shop that I work at and strained it into a 5 gal bucket using a paint strainer and let it settle for 2 days. I then mixed added my 15% RUG and mixed using a piece of fuel hose connected to an air nozzle and basically bubbling the mixture for about half an hour. I then filtered this mixture twice through nylon stockings doubled up over another bucket and let sit for another couple days. After the mixture sat, I then added some diesel fuel treatment and mixed again using the same method for another half hour (ish) and filtered through doubled up stockings again. I then transferred the W85 mixture to a fuel can and added it to my truck's tank which already had about 12 gallons of regular #2 pump diesel in it. I've been running this mixture for about 4 days and I notice no power difference, no difference in cold starts, but a definite fuel mileage increase. This week I acquired a 275 gal. fuel oil tank to be used as my new mixing tank, 2 whole house water filter housings which will be loaded with a 10 micron and a 5 micron filter in series. After the 5 micron house water housing I will add a spin on 1 micron filter/water block to finish out the filtering process. I still need to get an oil transfer pump to pump the mixture through the filters and back into the tank. I'm planning on running about 100 gallons at a time then transferring the W85 to a 500 gal tank that I got from my grandfather's place with a hand crank pump so I can pump the mixture directly into my truck tank. Once I have my real filter setup operational I will most likely jump my in-tank mixture up to about 50/50 WMO/#2D cutting my fuel cost in half every time I fill up.
run er till she breaks, then back off a hair

Offline JakeLC15

• View Profile
Re: Waste Motor Oil as alternative to diesel fuel
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
I use to run 100℅ used oil in my deuce when I had it. It was also idi but 22/1 compression.
Your IDI should run 50/50 no problem. You should have no problems if you use your proposed filter setup. Filter below 5m is key. Make sure your filters aren't bypassing type.

I still mix used oil into my trucks fuel, maybe 20℅. It's di but at 855 ci it burns anything. I use a 55 gal drum with a pump and filter. The only problem I've had is the biodiesel having water in it. At 6mpg every little bit helps.
I can probably get some 55 gal drums if anyone needs them, plastic or steel.

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »
JD that's awesome! Good work. 

JakeLC15 I'd be interested in a couple steel 55 gallon drums if you can get them. I have a coworker that wants one and I'd like to have one for my wast oil.
1946 Willys Modified. Civilian Frame, Military Body/modified

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
YEA! I would deff go for some barrels. Still need to setup the mixing tank so I'm storing in 5gal buckets right now lol. Whereabouts are you JakeLC15? I'd love to check out your fleet sometime. Swap some stories lol. I'm sure cmshrom wouldn't mind a little meet and great too.

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
Yeah I'm game for a meet and greet.

Offline JakeLC15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
I'm in Hanover. I'll start grabbing some barrels from work. The company that brings the new oil doesn't want the old barrels back anymore. I was trying to figure out what to do with them!
A meet and greet sounds good.

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »
hells yea. I know how to get to hanover. we go through there to get to Kingsdale Mud Bog

Offline JakeLC15

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
I've got a few barrels at my house now. Probably grab a couple more this weekend if it snows. Let me know if you want them.

Offline cmshrom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
Yeah, I'll take one ( or two) if you have them. JD and I are going to try and come sometime soon. Will be in touch

Offline HSRacing

• HOT SAUCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
hey Jake, I deff need some barrels. maybe next Friday evening I could make a trip out to see you if you're free. what are you asking for them? PM me your number if you don't mind then we can get something worked out. Finally got some free time in the garage tonight and got my filter setup assembled and my small block chevy oil pump/oil transfer pump built. should be up and running in a couple weeks with the WMO blend.

Offline JakeLC15

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:02:47 PM »
I should be around. Let me know when you want to come by and how many you want. 4433065268 Barrels are free.
I used an old SBC oil pump for a while, it leaked a good bit so I found a  replacement.